[If you're looking for my Color Throwdown card, please scroll down to the next post. Thanks!]
The end is in sight! Tonight's the night!!! Did you see Kim's news yesterday? Starting with the release tonight, My Favorite Things is beginning the first ONLINE Copic refill station! How stinkin' GREAT is that?! Check out a little more about it here, and all the deets will be available on the store site at release time tonight. This is HUGE!!!
Now, I've got My Favorite Things' February's Who's That Girl and I love it!!! You may have seen her when we had the VIP Hop a couple of weeks ago and if you didn't get her then, you'll be able to tonight at 10:00pm EST. The name of this set is 'Lovin' From the Oven'. I'm also using another new sentiment set: 'Clearly Sentimental About Food' for the sentiment on the cupcake box.
Here's a close up of the card. I'm using Basic Grey's new Sugar Rush paper--appropriate, don't you think, considering the contents of that little box ;-) I stamped the image on a Perfect Paper Panel with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and pretty much entirely paper pieced it. I'm thinking that all the details are obvious, so I'll move on.
Inside of the card (this sentiment and the little cupcake comes with the Lovin' From the Oven set:
Close up of the cupcake box, complete with cupcake:
So, when I started out to make this cupcake box, I looked for templates and tutorials. No sense reinventing the wheel, right? But all that I found were much bigger than I wanted. I don't know where those cupcakes come from, LOL, but the ones I bake in a regular size cupcake tin (NOT a mini), using package directions, would get lost in one of those boxes! So, I had to reinvent the wheel after all ;-)
I definitely wanted a round window on the top and since I only have a Cuttlebug and Classic Circle Nestabilities with which to make it, I needed to scale it down so it would fit through the Cuttlebug. Plus, it's perfectly scaled for my NORMAL size cupcake ;-) I made a practice run, so as to not waste card stock and paper and I'm providing a tutorial for it. I'm sorry about so many pictures, but there are three parts to this box and I like a lot of details when I look at a tutorial, so I hope they'll be helpful to someone.
1. Cut box base card stock to 8.5" square.
2. Score at 2.5" and 6", turn and score again at 2.5" and 6".
3. Cut on the score lines as shown, and trim the cut flaps in half.
4. Apply Score Tape or red line tape as shown.
5. Assemble box. This gave me a box that's 3.5" x 3.5" square x 2.5" tall.
6. Now for the insert to hold the cupcake in place. You use basically the same steps as for the box bottom. Cut your top paper to a 5 7/16" square. It needs to be just slightly smaller than the box in order to fit just right and not too tightly. Score at 1" on all four sides and cut flaps as shown. Cut circle with Classic Circle Nestabilities die. I tried fitting my cupcake in them until I found the right size. I used the middle size from the larger set.
7. Add tape to the flaps and assemble.
8. Here's the insert fitting perfectly inside the box base.
9. OK, now to the top. This is a little trickier because it has to be just a bit *larger* than the box. So, I'm using a 6" x 6" piece of paper (the largest size I can get through my Cuttlebug) and I had to mark on the wrong side with a pencil where I needed my score marks. I also had to score on the wrong side, but it turned out just fine. Mark and score at 1 3/8" from each outside edge.
10. Cut out another circle (I used the same size that I used on the insert) and glue a piece of clear acetate on the inside.
11. Cut a scalloped circle with the appropriate Nestabilities and adhere on the outside of the cut out.
12. Cut flaps and assemble in the same manner as the other two pieces. I also added some scalloped pieces on the bottom edges to dress it up :)
Then all that's left is to embellish however you want. I hope this has been helpful--you can use the basic directions to make pretty much any size or shape box that you want--just measure and adjust as needed :)
Thanks for dropping by today! Be sure to stop by Kim's blog today after 11:00am to see who else is peeking these new sets. There are three of them and the others are just as cute as this one! Thirteen sets and lots of other goodness will be released tonight at 10:00pm EST at the My Favorite Things store. Be sure to join us for the release party at the SCS Member Company Forum from 8-10pm to see more samples of all the new releases and to chat with us. There's also a Blog Hop starting at 10:00pm, also at Kim's blog, where you'll see all kinds of inspiration. See you there!
Stamps: Lovin' From the Oven, Clearly Sentimental About Food (MFT)
Paper: Purely Pomegranate, Certainly Celery (SU!); Sugar Rush (Basic Grey); Perfect Paper Panel (MFT); clear acetate (recycled)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Purely Pomegranate (SU!)
Accessories: Cuttlebug, Swiss Dot embossing folder (Provocraft); Classic Circle, Classic Circle Scalloped, and Classic Oval Nestabilities (Spellbinder); 3M foam squares, ribbon, red line tape (craft store); Summer Collection buttons (MFT); Rustic Twine (PTI); scalloped border, 1" circle, and oval punches (SU!); heart punch (Marvy); ScorPal