Thursday, January 06, 2011

Brand new challenge!!!

Hey, peeps, I decided to start a VERY informal, very laid back challenge. I *always* say I'm going to work on Christmas projects throughout the year so I don't run out of time when Christmas actually gets here. But it never seems to work that way, KWIM? So, I'm doing this to challenge ME, hoping it will make me more accountable to myself, but I'd LOVE to have anyone join me! Every Thursday the challenge will be to do something Christmas-y. Simple, huh? Add a card to your stash, get started on your gift tags, work on a home decor project--any paper crafting that has to do with Christmas works! If you decide to join in, be sure to leave a link in the comments section so I can see what you did--I'm always looking for inspiration and would love to see your projects!

So, welcome to the Christmas Pursuits Challenge! I'm so excited about getting a head start on Christmas! For this first week, I'm starting a project that will  take me several weeks to finish, but that's OK--most of my projects will take several weeks to do. As long as progress is being made, it's all good :)

So, let's get started! I fell in love with these little trees that Nichole Heady made back in September and they've been on my list ever since. I really wanted to get them done this past year but it just didn't happen, so now I'm going to do it. Click here for Nichole's post (it's a long post so scroll on down until you see the little 3-D tree).

Adorable, right? Right. So I got to working on mine and decided to try more sections to see how that would work. I'm thinking it worked pretty well, what do you think?

 
I doubled the number of sections--much more dimension, I think.  I die cut the star toppers with MFT's Stacking Stars Die-namics dies, ran them through my Xyron X sticker maker and glittered them up with Prisma glitter (I really love this stuff!). I couldn't decide about adding "ornaments" but I think I've decided to just glitter up the edges because they will be close to, if not right beside, this gorgeous tree candle I scored at Yankee Candle on Monday.


I think they'll be perfect together :) I also wanted to make some other sizes of the trees for a grouping, so I got a Cricut cartridge that has a similar tree on it. My challenge to myself for next week is to have these little cuties glittered up and at least one larger tree done. I need to learn more about my Cricut and this will make me turn that puppy on and start cutting!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you'll all join me in getting a head start on next Christmas with the Christmas Pursuits Challenge!

~Supplies~
Stamps: None
Paper: Mellow Moss, Crumb Cake (SU!); Perfect Paper Panels (MFT)
Ink: None
Accessories/tools: Cuttlebug (Provocraft); Stacking Stars Die-namics dies (MFT); Christmas Tree Die, glitter (PTI); Xyron X sticker maker

14 comments:

  1. Oh you *know* I am in on this one! Maybe I'll get some of those trees made too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Barbara! This is SO what I need to do. So since you made it a formal challenge, maybe I'll actually get a little ahead on Christmas for next year. Or maybe I just won't be so far behind and stressed come next Christmas! Either way, I'm gonna try to play along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to get a Christmas card made every week btw now and the end of October. Maybe this will keep me on my toes :) Love the trees and the candle is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in Barbara!!!! **sigh** Kickin my heels with "joy" NOT!!! LOL BUT... I NEED to do this as this year I gave co workers cards OTHER people made from swaps... **groan**

    SO... I'm IN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the tree die but didn't do much with it. Thanks for refreshing my memory. I do like it with more sections. Your white tree candle is gorgeous. Check out the Hero Arts blog to see the white flower wreath a blogger created. Would go great with your candle.Thanks for all the inspiration you provide year round. I love your blog.
    Dorothy C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOWWWWW, Barb, these are AWESOME!! I love your idea for a Christmas challenge, too. I NEED to do this....not saying I promise to do it (learned my lesson that last year, lol), but I SHOULD do it, lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I look forward to playing along! I love makingChristmas cards and projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those trees are beautiful and I do like the extra dimension you have added to them. I'll be bookmarking this challenge too. There were so many things I wanted to do for the 2010 holiday but never found time. No excuse now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh, congratulations on the new challenge to yourself and us! I NEED a Christmas challenge...I'm HORRIBLE at getting my cards done and out.

    Your trees are awesome! Love that you doubled the number of layers...it really does give them more definition.

    I WILL try to play along also...maybe now I can finish all the Christmas projects I planned for this year but didn't get to :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! My challenge was only to make a Christmas card a week...your challenge is much more "challenging"! Can't wait to see all your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great challenge Barb!! Miss talking with you every week!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would really like to do this. I don't know if I can do one a week but I am going to try for one every other week. How does that sound for a goal?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving all the responses! You guys rock! Can't WAIT to see what you all do--no doubt you be giving me more ideas to add to my already long list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...