It’s time for MFT’s May Creative Challenge, a monthly feature where the design team is challenged to explore their creative side using a specific theme, product, or technique. This month we‘re creating wreaths. Be sure to check the MFT Blog for a list of all the designers who have put their MFT stamps and/or Die-namics dies to work to create a wreath for you today!
This is such a timely challenge—I’d been meaning to make a wreath and this was just the push I needed! While I was at it, I took some pictures of my process to share with you.
I started with a 10” straw wreath from Michaels. I was originally going to use a grapevine wreath but decided this straw wreath would give me a more stable base to work with. I totally think it could be done with the grapevine wreath, though. I took the plastic off and wrapped it with strips of burlap that were about 2 1/2” wide. I had to add a couple of strips of burlap so I adhered them together on the back with hot glue and did the same at the end.
Not to be deterred, I cut out four thin chipboard flourishes, glued them together and adhered the felt on top. The good thing about felt for this project is that there’s no right or wrong side, and since I wanted to orient the two in different directions it didn’t matter.
Then I made my birdhouse. I wanted it to be sturdy, too, so here’s what I cut out with my Die-namics Homespun Birdhouse dies. Three layers of chipboard for the main part of the house, card stock for the inside (not pictured) and patterned paper for the front. Two layers of chipboard and patterned paper each for the roof and trim.
Here’s the order in which I adhered the pieces. I adhered the patterned paper to the front, card stock to the inside back, and cut holes in the front and middle layers. I wanted some dimension, hence the middle layer. I knew I’d never get the hole in the middle layer lined up right with the front. so I cut that center piece out to give me some wiggle room when constructing the birdhouse.
Then I cut out and assembled a bunch of Die-namics Rolled Daisy, Die-namics Royal Rose, and Die-namics Mini Royal Roses and laid out how I wanted to attach them to the wreath. I added a Die-namics Fancy Flourish to the birdhouse along with several roses.
I also decided to add a little birdie to my birdhouse, using my Die-namics Contempo Birdhouse bird.
The only thing left to do was put it all together. Here’s another picture of the finished product. I hope you like how it turned out as much as do.
Here are the Die-namics dies I used on this project:
And that’s it! Thanks for stopping by today—I hope I’ve inspired you to make a wreath of your own.
Paper: Gumdrop Green (MFT); chipboard; This & That – Grateful (Echo Park); Miss Caroline - Howdy Doody and Fiddlesticks (MME)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond; Royal Rose, Mini Royal Roses, Rolled Daisy, Royal Leaves, Large Leafy Flourish, Contempo Birdcage, Homespun Birdhouse Die-namics dies, Jellybean Green felt (MFT); Spanish moss, hot glue gun/glue sticks, foam dots, gems