Tuesday, March 17, 2015

MFT March Creative Challenge–Stylin’ with Stencils

creativechallenge1_2015mar17

Stencils may not get the same recognition as stamps and dies but believe me, they simply can’t be beat in terms of versatility. Their flexibility and durability make them the perfect choice for adding color and texture with any number of mediums and with close to 70 different options in two different sizes available in the MFT Boutique, you’re sure to find the perfect design for your next project. This month, our team is inspiring you to play with stencils.


Print

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: I think stencils are the biggest bang for your buck in the stamping world. You can sponge, you can water color, you can emboss—two different ways--you can ink ‘em up, there are so many techniques that lend themselves to stencils, adding to their versatility. To demonstrate this, I have a video up over on the MFT Blog today, showing you how you can create EIGHT different backgrounds with ONE stencil—check it out and get your stencils on!

In the meantime, I have a couple of cards I created using  stenciling techniques. My first one was done with Small Brick Wall Stencil and white embossing paste.

I started with a Kraft card stock base, then, on a panel of Sweet Tooth card stock, I applied white embossing paste with a palette knife through Small Brick Wall stencil. I only wanted a random-looking swath, so I angled off and and didn’t cover the whole thing. It could certainly have been left like this because the embossing paste provides great texture and dimension, but I decided to give it even more definition. After I washed and dried my stencil, and the embossing paste had dried, I replaced the stencil and lightly sponged on some Brick Red dye ink. For a little added interest, I split the panel, added a narrow strip of Black Licorice card stock, and popped it up on foam mounting tape.

Here’s a close up of the bricks:

creativechallenge1_2015mar17close


My floral element was created this way, bottom to top: Sour Apple card stock cut with Leaf-Filled Flourish Die-namics, Berrylicious card stock stamped with Black Licorice dye ink and LJD Spring Backgrounds, cut with Stitched Circle STAX Die-namics, LJD Scribbles Die-namics cut from gold mirror paper, and Coral Crush card stock cut with Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose Die-namics. The sentiment, from Totally Happy, was stamped on Black Licorice card stock with Sweet Tooth pigment ink and heat embossed with clear detail embossing powder and popped up on foam. I finished off with some enamel dots.

Another sentiment from Totally Happy was stamped on the inside with Black Licorice dye ink.

creativechallenge1_2015mar17in
*****

My second card uses a stencil to dry emboss a design.

creativechallenge2_2015mar17


This card also started with a Kraft card stock base. Next up is the embossed panel, Grout Gray card stock embossed with Staggered Paw Prints Stencil. Here is a close up of the embossed design:

creativechallenge2_2015mar17close


Embossing gives subtle interest to the background, which complements but doesn’t compete with the focal image, in this case BB I Knead You stamp set and BB I Knead You Die-namics. The image was stamped with Black Licorice hybrid ink, colored with Copic markers, and popped up on foam mounting tape on a Stitched Circle STAX Die-namics cut from Black Licorice card stock. A strip of Sweet Tooth card stock stamped with Striped Backgrounds and Black Licorice dye ink was applied under the edge of the embossed panel before being popped up on foam. I added some Wild Cherry card stock hearts, cut from Tag Builder Blueprints 3 Die-namics, along with some enamel dots and baker’s twine, provide the embellishments. I had planned the card design and stamped the sentiment at the bottom before adding anything else.

Another sentiment from BB I Knead You was stamped on the inside, along with a few more hearts :)

creativechallenge2_2015mar17in


And that’s it for this month’s Design Team Creative Challenge! I hope I’ve inspired you to play with stencils more if you have some and if you don’t to get a couple and find out what all the fun’s about! Thanks for stopping by—see you soon!


1CAS Supplies2_thumb1

creativechallenge1_2015mar17




creativechallenge2_2015mar17



~Supplies~
Brick Card:
Stamps:
Totally Happy, LJD Spring Backgrounds (MFT)
Ink:
Black Licorice dye ink, Brick Red dye ink, Sweet Tooth pigment ink (MFT)
Paper: Kraft card stock,
Sweet Tooth card stock, Black Licorice card stock, Berrylicious card stock, Sour Apple card stock, Coral Crush card stock (MFT); gold mirror card stock
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Leaf-Filled Flourish Die-namics, Mini Hybrid Heirloom Rose Die-namics, Stitched Circle STAX Die-namics, Small Brick Wall Stencil, white embossing paste, foam mounting tape, clear detail embossing powder (MFT); hot glue/gun, palette knife, enamel dots

Kitty Card:
Stamps:
BB I Knead You, Striped Backgrounds (MFT)
Ink:
Black Licorice dye ink, Black Licorice hybrid ink (MFT)
Paper:
Kraft card stock, Grout Gray card stock, Black Licorice card stock, Wild Cherry card stock, Sweet Tooth card stock (MFT); Neenah Classic Crest Cover, Solar White Smooth, 110lb
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
BB I Knead You Die-namics, Stitched Circle STAX Die-namics, Tag Builder Blueprints 3 Die-namics, Staggered Paw Prints Stencil, foam mounting tape (MFT); Copic markers, baker’s twine, enamel dots

1CAS-Signature2_thumb1

1 comment:

  1. I love your cards, but you took yourself to a totally new level of awesomeness with that perfect paper flower. I mean, that's almost impossible without crinkling and wrinkling up but yours is superb! Fantastic art, and yes, you create art, as usual Barb! I must CASE these.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...