Thursday, July 02, 2009

Stars and Stripes--Stamp Simply #94


It's time for another Stamp Simply Challenge and Sharon is asking us to use stars and stripes this week since it's so close to July 4th. Here's the challenge in her words:

July 3 - ssnotime94 - Stars and Stripes - In honor of the 4th of July I thought today it would be fun to incorporate stars and stripes into our work. Making a patriotic card is totally OK, but you NEED NOT make your card patriotic. As long as you have some stars and stripes somewhere in your creation, we will call you good to go! As always, hope you have fun with this! Anxious to see what you all choose to do!

Even though this didn't *have* to be a patriotic card, I haven't done one this year so I thought I'd take this opportunity to do just that. I was aiming for a primitive feel for this card and I think I got it.

I started with a Very Vanilla base and gave it a fair amount of distressing with Ranger Distress ink in Old Photograph. Then a layer of Night Of Navy with the border punched and layers of Riding Hood Red and a craft store red gingham that were also ink distressed and sown. The star buttons were pure white in another life, but I smeared some Copic marker on them and called them antique white ;-) Same for the ribbon--it was "tea stained" with a Copic marker. The focal image flag is from a Flourishes' recent release called Patriotism on Parade. It was stamped on Pure Luxury 80 lb paper by Gina K with Memento Tuxedo Black ink, colored with Copic markers, cut out, and ink distressed. It was mounted with 3M foam squares on three layers of Nestabilities die cuts, which were also ink distressed and also up on foam squares. I used the Reverse Scalloped dies for two layers--I thought they suggested fire works, LOL! I tied the buttons on with Perle cotton and stamped the sentiment, from Kitchen Sink Stamps' Ready 4 Any Holiday set, on the Very Vanilla edge. Yep, I think I got prim.

Come along and play with us and take the challenge--we'd love to see what you come up with. If you do, be sure to leave a comment on Sharon's blog telling her where you uploaded. Please use the keyword ssnotime94 if you upload to a public forum. Check out Sharon's fabulous sample and also the great designs from the Stamp Simply team:

Rose Ann - July Guest Designer

Julie Koerber

Jennifer Buck

Janine Orchard

A J Otto

Tammy Hershberger

Deb Saarenen

Jenny Gropp

I'm so glad you stopped by today!

~Recipe~
Stamps: Patriotism on Parade (Flourishes); Ready 4 Any Holiday (Kitchen Sink Stamps)
Paper: Very Vanilla, Night Of Navy, Riding Hood Red (SU!); red gingham (craft store); Pure Luxury 80 lb. (Gina K)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Cuttlebug/Nestabilities Reverse Scalloped Circles; 3M foam squares, ribbon, star buttons, Perle cotton (craft store); Copic markers; sewing machine; border punch (Martha Stewart)

10 comments:

  1. Wow, really nice card! Love your design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty! have a fun and safe 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! Isn't this flag awesome, I like the star buttons you used along the side too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is simply gorgeous!!!
    Have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice primitive look! I love it! That Flourishes set is really nice---all the images are great. Another on my wish list! Love those buttons, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beauty!! Stunning card and lovely details!! :) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome card, Bar! Very nicely primitive, and I love those inverted scallops! (Mine should be here today!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your awesome flag and your star buttons!! Great Nestie layers too!! Wonderful patriotic card!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool card -- I love the vanilla instead of white, you captured primitive and PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fresh and crisp! LOVE the gingham bg!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!