Tuesday, February 07, 2012

MFT February New Product Tour

Pin It

producttour_2012feb7

Welcome to my stop on MFT’s February New Product Tour! What a fabulous release this is! But then, they all are ;-)
NewProductTour

You might have guessed that I’m all about some home décor projects and you would be right. Inspired by Lighthouses was just too pretty to NOT frame, IMO, so that’s what I did :) My home office has a bit of a nautical theme into which this will fit just perfectly :)
I stamped the lovely light house on some cream paper and colored it with Copic markers. I decided to have a bit of beach on the shoreline with the sea in the background. After I colored everything, I masked off the foreground and lighthouse, airbrushed in the sky, and then sponged the edges with Antique Linen Distress Ink. Before I put it in the frame, I cut a piece of acrylic cardstock to put in front of it for protection.
I made my flowers from canvas using the Pretty Posies Die-namics and I’m going to show you how I did that in just a minute. But first, I’ll tell you a few other things about this project. 
 
producttour_2012feb7flowersclose



My frame is an unfinished frame from the $1 bin at Michaels. Gotta love that ;-)  I stained it with Weathered Wood Distress Stain, distressed it up with Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink, and sanded the edges.


After I did that, I stamped my sentiment where I wanted it with Versafine Onyx Black ink. I tried several inks on the back of the frame to see which one would give me the best image without bleeding into the wood grain and Onyx Black won, hands down.

producttour_2012feb7sentclose

OK, so here’s the 411 on the canvas flowers. I cut them out with my Pretty Posies Die-namics dies from canvas duck that I got at Joanne Fabrics. A little tip: the natural canvas is more “dense” or tightly woven than the white or any other color so it may take several more back and forths to get a good clean cut. They all take several; the natural may take more.

producttour_2012feb7tut1

Now, this stuff is a little floppy and I wanted to be able to “mold” my layers for dimension.

producttour_2012feb7tut2

I had an “aha” moment when it occurred to me that I could
use spray starch for this. It worked like a charm! The only drawback is that you have to plan in advance—I let my flowers dry overnight and then put them together and it worked perfectly. Here’s what I did.

I laid each layer out on some paper and gave them a good soaking with the spray starch.

producttour_2012feb7tut3

Then I started to “mold” them just like I do with paper only I worked with these a little longer.

producttour_2012feb7tut4

Here’s what they looked like when I was done—they’re still pretty wet here. I set them aside to dry overnight.

producttour_2012feb7tut5

In the meantime, I cut leaves out with my Upsy Daisy Die-namics dies. I was totally surprised that the score line showed up so well in the canvas. Just a happy bonus :)

producttour_2012feb7tut6

So, here are all the layers, shaped and dry—see the dimension?

producttour_2012feb7tut7

I wanted to distress them to go along with the frame. So, on the natural ones I gently sponged on some Frayed Burlap Distress ink…

producttour_2012feb7tut8

…and I used Weathered Wood and Brushed Corduroy on the white ones.

producttour_2012feb7tut9

Then I proceeded to assemble them as normal, with hot glue and a twine-tied button center. I also added a couple of “driftwood” branches using the branch from the Branches With Leaves Die-namics set. Before I adhered the flowers and leaves, I added a sailor’s knot for more of that nautical feel. Dare I say I love this project, too? Ahhh, yeah, I do :)






Pin It

Thanks SO much for stopping by! I hope you were able to get a little inspiration from this project and will attempt some out-of-the-box projects of your own! MFT Die-namics Dies—not just for cards :)

~Supplies~
Stamps: Inspired By Lighthouses (MFT)
Paper: Cream Perfect Paper Panel; acrylic card stock (Flourishes)
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black; Frayed Burlap, Brushed Corduroy, Antique Linen, Weathered Wood Distress Ink, Weathered Wood Distress Stain (Ranger)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond (Tim Holtz); Pretty Posies, Upsy Daisy, Branches  With Leaves
Die-namics dies (MFT); natural, light green, dark green, Khaki, and white canvas duck, twine, cotton yarn, hot glue/gun, spray starch, buttons, Copic markers, wooden frame, sanding block (Tim Holtz)

brownwendysignature

17 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful, your flowers are so great, I'm going to have to try that spray starch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, Barbara!! It was worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEK... STUNNING ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is gorgeous! I've been hunting for my canvas in my disaster of a craft room - must double my efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, lovely frame and all that explanation is great. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly, Bar, this is JAW DROPPING GORGEOUS!! This would make such an amazing gift and I'm really lovin' those canvas flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful artwork! I just made a card the other day with that same knot!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing Barbara. I love the weathered look you have achieved and the canvas flowers are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this is a "WOW" project. I can hardly take my eyes off of it- just beautiful, & I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Thanks for the details on how you made this--love the canvas flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous work on this! I love what you're doing with those new dies. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! Those flowers are breathtaking! LOVE this Bar...thanks for showing us how you created the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful, Barbara! I pinned it to my Pinterest craft page...must try this at home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Serious gorgeousness Barbara!! I'm in LOVE!!

    Crafty Hugs!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gaaaaaaaa! This is such a decadent project! The image is coloured so beautifully and those flowers are absolutely amazing!! Thanks for showing us how you made them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're just rockin' the house this month.... this is BEAUTIFUL! (But you already knew that I thought so!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...