Thursday, April 16, 2015

Shakers Gonna Shake--Hats Off to the Graduate!

MFTWSC224_2015apr16


Hi, everyone, have you been seeing all the shaker cards at MFT? I have one for you today for the “word” shaker card theme. It’s technically not a WORD, but numbers count :) I made a graduation card using “2015” for my “word”. Be sure to check out the MFT Blog for all the details—there are prizes to be won during this fun promotion!


Print


I’m also using this week’s MFT Wednesday Sketch Challenge for my layout Are you ready? Here’s this week’s sketch. All of the details about the sketch challenge are available on the MFT Challenge & Inspiration blog as well as in the weekly newsletter. The MFT Challenge & Inspiration Team will be on hand to provide plenty of inspiration to get you started.


MFTWSC224

I’ll admit, I was really stumped about those four round elements at the bottom of the sketch. I thought and thought what to use there and then decided to think out of the box. What could I used that I’d have four of Letters! I thought of four letter words—love came to mind but I didn’t want to do that particularly, so then I thought of numbers. 2015?? Yes, that would be perfect for a graduation card, especially if I made it a shaker element!! But, what about that rectangle element that would cover part of the numbers. Go clear, I thought, go clear!! It totally works and here’s how I did it: I started with a Sweet Tooth card stock base, then cut another A2 size piece of Sweet Tooth card stock. I laid out 2015 using By the Numbers Die-namics, taped them down with removable tape, and cut them out. Next I ran it through again, embossing with Starry Night Stencil. I created my shaker element but added some Heat Resistant acetate for the window and popping up with foam mounting tape. I added green, black, and clear sequins along with some matching seed beads and closed it up. I popped it up on my card base and cut more Heat Resistant acetate for the rectangle element with Stitched Rounded Rectangle STAX Die-namics and set it aside. Next I created the Black Licorice card stock sentiment panel by stamping the sentiment from LLD Happy Graduation with Versamark and heat embossed with white detail embossing powder, then adhered it to the acetate. I cut “Class of” from LLD Graduation Accents Die-namics from Black Licorice card stock and adhered it to the acetate with a Quickie Glue Pen, then added the mortar board cut from Field Day card stock and popped up on foam mounting tape. I popped that panel up on foam, putting the tape under the black and under the mortarboard so it’s not seen from the front.

Here’s a close up:

MFTWSC224_2015apr16close


On the inside, I stamped another sentiment from LLD Happy Graduation.

MFTWSC224_2015apr16in


And there you have it! This card was SO much fun to create! Thanks so much for stopping by—see you soon!


1CAS Supplies2_thumb1





~Supplies~
Stamps:
LLD Happy Graduation (MFT)
Ink:
Black Licorice dye ink, Versamark (MFT)
Paper:
Sweet Tooth card stock, Black Licorice card stock, Field Day card stock, Heat Resistant acetate (MFT)  
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
LLD Graduation Accents Die-namics, Stitched Rounded Rectangle STAX Die-namics, By the Numbers Die-namics, Starry Night Stencil, foam mounting tape, white detail embossing powder, Quickie Glue Pen (MFT); sequins, seed beads

1CAS-Signature2_thumb1

17 comments:

  1. Barb I would have loved getting this card for grad.😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! I adore the shaker portion in the numbers~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic shaker Barb. Love how you used the numbers as the window opening for the shaker. Great spin on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Barbara! You have NO idea HOW EXCITED I was to see your card! I need some Grad cards and yours is perfect for me because those are EXACTLY our local school colours! (PINNED!)
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most creative and sophisticated shaker card I have ever seen. I love shaker cards but think that they tend to be very cutsie so I feel like I need to be making them for someone very young. This is a great example of a card that has all the fun of a shaker but done in a way to make that technique/style more transitional. Thanks for sharing this, and the MANY others wonderful cards you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful and awesome card, perfect for celebrate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hats off to you Barbara, this is a first class shaker card. The graduate is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Grad card, Barbara. TY :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your card! You made me place an order! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your card, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cards are always beautiful and classy hats off to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this! Perfect graduation card--really says CELEBRATE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well..how perfect is this!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great shaker card! Super creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!