Monday, August 18, 2014

In the Background: Watercolor Background

inthebackground1_2014aug18


Hi, everyone, I’m here today with the first of my “In the Background” series tutorials. I’ve been having so much fun creating backgrounds with MFT’s background stamps and experimenting with new techniques so I thought I’d share some of them with you. Today I’m going to be making a watercolor wash background with My Favorite Things inks. My card design is really simple because I wanted the background to be the star.

This is my first ever video on my blog so please be kind, LOL :) There’s gotta be a first one, right? I’ve been wanting to start doing videos and but never got the nerve up—I finally decided to JUST DO IT!  

I have all of the supplies linked OR listed at the end of this post. To watch the video on YouTube, click HERE.




And there you go—I hope you’ve found my first “In the Background” video helpful and I hope you’ll give this technique a try. Every background you do with this technique will look different—there’s no “right” way to do it and it’s so much fun to see how each with turn out. 

inthebackground2_2014aug18


And to celebrate my very first blog video, I have a little give away. Leave a comment here by 11:59pm EST on Saturday, 8/23/14 telling me what you’d like to see in the future and you’ll be entered into a random drawing for these two MFT products: Diagonal Stripes Background and Large Polka Dots Stencil, both of which make great backgrounds! I’ll do the drawing on Sunday, 8/24/14 and announce the winner later that day.

inthebackgroundprize_2014aug18


Thanks so much for watching—I hope you’ll subscribe to my YouTube channel as I have plans for adding future video tutorials.


1CAS Supplies2




~Supplies~
Stamps:
LJD Blissful Butterflies (MFT)
Ink:
Steel Gray ink, Berrylicious ink, Berrylicious refill, Sour Apple refill, Blu Raspberry refill (MFT)
Paper:
Sweet Tooth card stock (MFT); Watercolor paper (Ranger)
Accessories/tools: Vagabond;
Pierced Traditional Tag STAX Die-namics, LJD Blissful Butterflies Die-namics (MFT); silver cord (May Arts); Mini Mister, Non Stick Craft Sheet (Inkssentials); water brush (Tim Holtz); foam tape (Scotch); sequins (Cartwright’s), clear gems (SU!); painter’s tape, clip board, heat tool, Krystal Katana pick up tool, Quickie Glue Pen, Crop-A-Dile, heat tool, Fiskars paper trimmer


1CAS Signature2

16 comments:

  1. You did a great job on your first video! I did my first one back in June so I know how you felt! Your card is very pretty, I love those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Barbara- great video and love the background- could see doing a heap of these at one sitting for quickie cards-thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on the watercolor video-something I am definitely going to try. I would love to see a video on using copic markers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the video, seeing how things are done is really a big help. I've been playing with watercoloring just a little, nothing like a background but your video has given me the curage to try it.... Thanks for the tip about the tape... that will be a Big help I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card and video. I would like to see a video on card design. Your cards are always perfectly executed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy coming to your blog and seeing your cards. Doing the videos is a real treat, love it. love the colors on this card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the watercolors blended together so well making a wonderful background.Enjoyed your video

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed your video. I follow your blog and your designs are a great inspiration. For future videos ... one demonstrating using gesso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card! Fantastic first video! Cant wait to see more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on the video, and beautiful background!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your blog and like anything you can give us to inspire. I am new at all the mixed media out there right now so anything is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH gosh! This was a fabulous video!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty watercoloured card...your video was so good! You're so calm and informative I would have never guessed it was your first video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention that I love any video topic...its always nice to see the creative process. If I had to pick some topics I would say videos using stencils, distressed inks, creative die cutting and using stamps in unique ways.

      Delete
  14. Wow! You renewed my interest for watercoloring! Love your technique and very informative video...thanks so much! I can't wait to see more videos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...