Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Thanks - My Favorite Things' Teaser, Day Five

It's the last day of teasers--tonight's the night! All of the MFT sets you've seen over the last few days and the awesome new Die-namics dies will be available tonight at 10:00pm EDT. And don't forget the release party at 8:00pm at the Member Company Forum on SCS and the blog hop, also at 10:00pm, starting at Kim's blog. Be there :)

Today, I'm showing you Thanks a Bunch, which is the Triple Scoop set for May. I'm also showing you another use for the Scalloped Scallop die--fabric flowers. I have a few pictures to show you how I went about making it.



First, I cut a strip of fabric--just printed quilting fabric, 45" wide. I cut a strip about 2" wide and about 22" long. Then I ran it through my Cuttlebug like this (bottom to top): A plate, B plate, fabric, die (cutting blade down), C plate, and a piece of thin card stock. I tried it without the card stock and didn't get a clean cut because my fabric is thin. This was all it needed to take care of that problem.



I just moved the fabric along and cut all along the length. I hit it pretty close on all cuts, but it won't matter if you're off a little for this project. Next, I trimmed the strip to about 1" wide at the widest part of the scallop.



Then I threaded a regular hand sewing needle with regular sewing thread, doubled, and ran a running stitch down the length of the strip, then pulled the thread up to gather the strip and tacked off the thread. Finally, I started rolling the gathered strip up in a flat circle, tacking the fabric in place as I went, building it up several layers until I was out of fabric, then tacked it off.



Finally, I threaded a button with some twine, sewed it on, and tied it off on the back. I love the scalloped edge on this flower--kinda reminds me of a carnation.


Here's the inside of the card with another sentiment from the set.


Other MFT products I used are Fossil card stock and Spring collection buttons.

Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope this little tutorial will show you the versatility of MFT's new Die-namics dies and get you generating new ideas for using them!

~Supplies~
Stamps: Thanks a Bunch (MFT)
Paper: Fossil (MFT); Rose Red, Certainly Celery (SU!); Basics Kraft 6 x 6 pad (Basic Grey)
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa; Vintage Touch (PTI)
Accessories: Cuttlebug (Provocraft); Labels Eight Nestabilities (Spellbinders); Scalloped Scallops Die-namics die, button (MFT); twill; fabric; twine (PTI); oval punch (SU!); paper crimper


33 comments:

  1. Love the flower you created-pretty card. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial! This is so unique. I love the vintage flower and button. Your card is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACK!! I totally emailed Jody with that idea when I first saw that die!! You are genius! And your card is beautiful!! I'm so glad you did this so that I didn't have to wait 2 weeks until mine arrive in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this card and your gorgeous flower, Barbara!! I can't wait to get the dies!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous!! I love how you made the flower too! Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this card, just fabulous, and thanks for the flower tutorial!! I'm always looking for new ways to make flowers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, beautiful flower and love the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card!! LOVE the flower!! Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the flower and the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic flower Barbara!! Thanks for the tutorial as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that flower is REALLY cool. Gorgeous card!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those dies are sooooo neat! It's on my wish list. Now, if i could find some of that fabric....

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGosh, this is just so freakin' gorgeous!!!!!!!!!! LOVE the clean and simple card that allows that flower to be center stage! You rock, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so talented! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Barbara!!! Wonderful card and fantastic tutorial! LOVE that flower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! What pretty fabric and a nice tutorial. You are making me want those dies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so pretty! Thanks for showing how you did the fabric with the die.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Love that fabric flower! I think I need that die : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty card and I love the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE this!!! great idea and now I WILL own this die-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That flower is amazing--if I get brave, I might try it!! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG Barbara, that flower is stunning and the card is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a great idea, and wonderful accompanying tutorial. You really thought outside the box with this card Bar, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful card. Love the fabric flower. Thank you for sharing how you made it. Looking forward to those MFT dies!

    ReplyDelete
  25. so gorgeous!thanks for the awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the card and the flower is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your flower is wonderful! Those must be great die cuts to cut fabric. Thanks for the tutorial. Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very pretty flower and tutorial on how you made it!! I can't wait to see what other dies they come out with!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love Love LOVIN' that fabric flowers. Oh boy, I can feel it coming....now I'm going to start buying fabric for cards. You're SUCH an enabler!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful card! I love your gorgeous flower and the stitching along the border of the card.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely awesome!! I love that flower!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind comments--they make my day and I appreciate every one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...